Saturday, September 9, 2017
Effective Communication
When I think of someone who is an effective communicator, I think of my husband. He is a pastor who works with men who have had life controlling addictions, struggles and have been in jail for various reasons. In the residential program that we serve in, my husband talks to these guys on a one-on-one basis, in group settings and once a week goes to the county jail to talk to the guys there. He creates an environment of caring, respectful interactions with a no nonsense point of view. He makes eye contact with them, engages them in the conversation and presents himself as the open and honest man he is. He speaks to them as if he is speaking to a friend and relates their situations with his own life choices before coming to know the Lord. I desire to model these communication skills! Being able to create an environment for open communication is so powerful and helpful to solving problems, creating relationships and connecting with people. I want to connect with people in authentic ways, and I believe if I am able to model some of the communication behaviors I see in my husband I will be able to do so.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Rachael,
ReplyDeleteIt does sound like your husband is a wonderful communicator. Creating an environment for open communication is needed to be effective. You also mentioned that he is able to relate to their situations. This is very important and sometimes all that we need to hear is that we are not alone in this journey. Thanks for sharing!
Tara
Rachael,
ReplyDeleteI never gave the environment much of a thought when thinking about being a good communicator but it makes sense. Someone needs to also feel comfortable to be able to have that open communication.
Thanks for giving me something else to think about,
Sarah
Hi Rachel,
ReplyDeleteI think it is wonderful that your husband is a Pastor. I have great respect for anyone who serves the Lord. Thank you for sharing.