What is the one thing that surprised you the most? Why?
The thing that surprised me the most was that most of the results were in the same range. I asked my husband and my assistant director to complete the assessments and their results were very close to mine. This surprised me because I thought my assistant director's scores would be harsher than mine and definitely harsher than my husbands. She sees me in a different light than my husband and myself, being my boss and I was excited to see that she sees me as a competent communicator. The scores for Listening Styles were me 37, my husband 37 and my assistant director 36. For Verbal Aggressiveness me 66, my husband 59 and my assistant director 62. For Communication Anxiety me 42, my husband 38 and my assistant director 32. This was the only assessment where the results were not in the same range. With the exception of the listening styles assessment which did not show the results the same way.
What other insights about communication did you gain this week?
I gained the insight that it is important to self-assess and to ask others to assess you as well. We could think that we are communicating well and find out through others that we are in fact not.
Choose at least two to share with others through your blog and consider how each might inform your professional work and personal life.
The scores in Communication Anxiety taught me that I am comfortable with communicating with others in most situations. This is helpful for me in our field because it is a goal of mine to be a Conscious Discipline Certified Instructor. If I am able to do this, I will be put into situations where I must communicate the principals of Conscious Discipline effectively. This assessment gave me more confidence in my ability to reach for this goal.
The scores for Verbal Aggressiveness taught me that I have grown a lot in my communication skills. I am proud to say that I consider others when speaking to them and even if I do not agree with their statements, I am typically able to disagree respectfully. This has not always been the case in my life, as I have grown as an educator and as a person this has become the case. This is helpful in my life personally and professionally because there will always be someone with a different point of view and it is important to treat others with respect!
Rachael,
ReplyDeleteIt is very interesting to see just how close your scores were. I was surprised as well to find out that my sister and my colleague scored me similar to my own score. There were some differences in the scores and I feel that this relates to how I communicate differently in my personal and my professional life. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Tara
Rachael,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post and it's intriguing to find out what other people think about you and what you can work on to improve yourself.
Hi Rachel It is amazing how much less credit we give to ourselves, great post.
ReplyDelete