One hope I have when I think about working with children and families who come from a diverse background is that I will be able to seek out and authentically represent their deep culture after establishing relationship with them. In doing this, I hope to create an environment that is authentic to all children represented and honored in the space.
One goal I would like to set for the early childhood field related to issues of diversity, equity and social justice is that more professional development, workshops and conversations would occur surrounding these topics. If we do not talk about these issues and how to do a better job of meeting the needs of these topics, we will not effect change. We have to advocate and talk about it!
Thank you all for a wonderful 8 weeks! I feel that because of you and our conversations I have grown both professionally and personally! I wish you all well!
Rachael
Rachel I think you brought up something very important, deep culture. authentic representation is so much better than forcing ourselves to understand. You have a great goal. You are absolutely right when you say that if we do not talk about these issues there will not be change. Good luck to you!
ReplyDeleteRachael,
ReplyDeleteThese relationships must me organic and authentic with our culturally diverse students and family members. I also agree about the importance of professional development and workshops that can enhance our teaching practices and share new insights on different studies. We must be willing to continue to grow as an educator especially in a field, which is constantly changing for the better. I wish you luck on your future endeavors, hopefully I will see you in another class!
-Nicole