Friday, September 22, 2017
Communication and Culture
Do you find yourself communicating differently with people from different groups and cultures? If yes, in what ways do you communicate differently?
I do believe that I communicate differently with various people. With my best friend at work, we use a lot of non-verbal communication, eye contact and phrases that mean something specifically to us. She is from a different ethnic group than me, and has a different culture but we have communicated this way almost from the moment we met. She and I have a strong relationship and I think that is what makes it easier to communicate with her.
I also am more formal with other co-workers than I am with her. It seems that I communicate differently with each of my co-workers and because of the way our building is set up, I simply do not communicate with some co-workers on a daily basis. For example, the infant room is on the other side of the building than the preschool rooms and I rarely see those teachers.
Some of my co-workers are from the Philippines and have strong accents which means I have to ask for clarification more often and it sometimes seems as if it irritates them, but I do not want to have miscommunication because I did not clarify.
Three strategies I could use to help me communicate more effectively with people from different groups and cultures are:
1. Listen more, speak less. I think I talk too much at times not giving enough time for the me to hear the other person.
2. Treat others the way I want to be treated in communication. Respect goes a long way.
3. Be intentional in asking questions to gain more understanding of a culture or person.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Rachel,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post and I too do a lot of non verbal communication between people who can relate to what I am trying to communication. It's like the unspoken lingo. When communicating there are different ways in communicating with different types of people in different environments. Like you may talk one way with your co-worker, parent, child and employer. Just various communication styles.
I feel as if the relationships that I have with others, impact my communication. Just as you stated that you communicate differently with your best friend at work. I believe that one of the reasons that this is true has to do with how close we are to those in which we communicate. As we communicate with others who we have a strong relationship with, there is a whole different comfort zone. I enjoyed reading your post! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Rachel,
ReplyDeleteI love your three strategies especially the one about talking too much. I have always been shy and now I feel that I talk a lot. People would say to me, in high school we couldn't get you to say a word. Thanks for sharing, very nice post.
Rachael,
ReplyDeleteYou have great strategies. I have never thought about the talking less but I could totally use that one too. I seem to talk more when I am more nervous. I am sure it is fun working with your best friend. It can be nice to be able to only communicate with your nonverbal language and have someone else pick up on what your saying.
Thanks for sharing,
Sarah