- What memory do you have of an incident when you experienced bias, prejudice, and/or oppression, or witnessed someone else as the target of bias, prejudice, and/or oppression? Keep in mind that one can encounter such incidents in real contexts, including online environments, as well as in fictional ones, such as movies, books, television shows, and the like.
This week at work, I witnessed someone else as the target of bias and prejudice. I know that the heart of this co-worker was not to offend, show bias or prejudice, however the longer I think about the interaction the more I am able to see this interaction as bias and prejudice. We have several posters up in the hallways that are outdated, and not relevant for the culture of the center. As early childhood educators, we desire to authentically represent people of all ethnicity, cultures and abilities. Two of these posters are certainly outdated and do not represent African American people well. Long story short, this co-worker said to another co-worker who happens to be African American, "You should be offended at this pictures. I would be if I were you." As I watched my co-worker try to process what had been said to her, this course replayed in my mind. I did not hear the entire conversation, I do know that they took the pictures down, and my co-worker said to me later that she was confused to why this other co-worker thought it was okay to tell her how she should feel. I have encouraged her to talk to this co-worker and explain how she is feeling. I hope she does.
- In what way(s) did the specific bias, prejudice and/or oppression in that incident diminish equity?
This bias and prejudice diminishes equity simply because one person told another how to feel about a situation. Yes, the pictures are outdated and need to be updated, however, I feel that it could have been handled in a different way to honor the culture of our co-worker. For example, she could have asked our co-worker about her culture and if she felt these pictures represented her culture well.
- What feelings did this incident bring up for you?
This incident brings up sadness and a little anger for me. The co-worker who is African American is a close friend of mine and to think that she was hurt makes me sad and angry.
- What and/or who would have to change in order to turn this incident into an opportunity for greater equity?
I think the co-worker who told the other that she should be offended would have to change her paradigms to turn this incident into an opportunity for greater equity. Again, I do feel that this was an unintentional micro-aggression, which does not excuse the statement, however, she would have to be aware that her words were offensive in order to change. Therefore, there would need to be a conversation between the two ladies that was authentic, vulnerable and respectful.
Rachael,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading you blog. It does seem like the other co-worker who made the remark had not ill-intention but if it was me I would have asked my director to update the pictures and my make it is something that is not offensive and and displays positivity. Hopefully the co-workers are speaking and the pictures are updated.
Rachael,
ReplyDeleteSounds like those micro insults. Unfortunately, people today think they have some type of a "pass" which gives them the right to say whatever comes to mind without taking into consideration how the other person(s) may feel. Drives me bonkers.
Rachael,
ReplyDeleteI have always believed that it is not what you say, but how you say it. There are plenty of pictures in doctors offices, schools, and counselors offices that are truly outdates. If your co-worker wanted to ask your other co-worker about the poster, I would have asked for suggestions of what to replace them with. I would give the individual an opportunity to pick out a poster that she feels represents her culture fairly. However, it doesn’t seem that your co-worker was coming from a place of hate but many microaggressions are unintentional. As Dr. Sue said, “And while micoraggressions can be intentional, conscious, it is the unintentional, unconscious forms that are outside the level of awareness that creates the greatest difficulty for people of color, for women and other marginalized groups in this society” (Sue, 2011). I am glad you were able to talk with your colleague and you probably were even able to clear the air. Thanks for sharing!
-Nicole
Reference:
Laureate Education (Producer). (2011). Microaggressions in everyday life [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu
Rachael,
ReplyDeleteThis situation is a type of verbal and behavior microaggression."Microaggresions are brief everyday indignities that are verbal, behavioral or environmental that they ma be intentionally or unintentionally communicated to women, people of color, gay/lesbians, that have an insulting message behind them that often time causes severe psychological distress and harm." (Laureate Education, 2011). Probably, your friend did not want to have an argument with her co-worker sometimes is wiser to keep silence and no to argue with an ignorant person. Maybe your friend could say to the coworker "What about if we change these old poster for new ones" It is easier to catch flies with honey than vinegar."
Thanks ladies! I agree with you all, there was a better way to deal with the situation. The pictures are being replaced with more authentic pictures! :)
ReplyDeleteRachael