This past summer, I spent a week at a conference for Conscious Discipline. The conference was set up to establish "school family" in table groups. The first night I was so nervous and unsure about what was going to happen, how I would be able to create relationships and how willing I would be to be honest and vulnerable with people I just met. By the end of the week, I was crying! It was so hard to leave my table group! Every morning we greeted each other, every day we worked in small groups and with partners and by the end of the week we were truly a table family. We all found each other on Facebook, exchanged phone numbers and I still talk to some of the group. It was a hard group to leave I believe because we all had the same goals for the conference, to learn more about Conscious Discipline and we were all willing to jump in with both feet to get the most out of the time we had together.
As far as leaving the group I have come to know in this program, my hope is that we will be able to establish contact through social media, emailing and the Walden University Early Childhood Organization Facebook Page. I feel like it is more difficult to establish relationships in an online program because we are not in contact everyday nor do we see each other face to face. We can establish relationships but I feel it is more difficult. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Also, I would love to figure out how we can adjourn this meeting of the minds in a meaningful way! I am just not sure how to do it with us all in different places. Thoughts?
Rachael,
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you had a really great experience at your conference, that's great. I feel the same way you do about being in an online program. It makes it difficult to have personal relationships with your classmates and not to mention the distance between all of us.
Thanks for sharing,
Sarah
Sarah,
DeleteIt is so difficult. It makes me a little sad that we can't meet each other in real life! Maybe someday!
Rachael
Rachael,
ReplyDeleteI am so jealous that you got to go to this conference, I love Becky Baily! I'm so glad you were able to form attachments to the people in your group and you were able to exchange information, good networking!
Heather
Heather,
DeleteIsn't she the best! I love Conscious Discipline and am learning more about it every day! Did you know that she started a podcast?!?!? It is so good! You can find it at the CD website.
Rachael
Rachael,
ReplyDeleteI too feel that it may be more difficult to establish relationships within an online community. However, I think it is possible. Instead of seeing someone's face or actions, I am more likely to recall words that they stated. To me, that is building relationships but in a different way. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Tara
Tara,
DeleteYou make such a great point. We are building relationships it just looks a little different! Thank you for that!
Rachael
Rachael,
ReplyDeleteI as well feel it is difficult to build a relationship with someone online without seeing them face to face because you not able to see their facial expressions and if it really the person who you are communicating with online or through other means rather than visually. It is good that you were able to keep in contact with the group and I know you enjoyed the conference.
Tulanni,
DeleteThank you so much! It was a great conference and I am glad that I have been able to be connected to that community. I agree, it is different when you cannot see a person's facial expressions and hear their tone of voice. Maybe one day we will all meet!
Thanks!
Rachael