Friday, July 21, 2017

Perspectives on Diversity and Culture

I spoke to three different people to get their definitions of culture and diversity. Kennedy is 16 years old, Sharlon is a co-worker/friend that I have had for the past 12 years and Kristie is a parent of a former child I taught. Their answers are as follows.

Kennedy "Diversity is like having varieties. Like a range of different things. For example is you have a diverse varieties of apples, that means you have different kinds or types. You can have a bucket of apples but what makes them diverse is that some are granny smith, some are golden delicious and some are red delicious. Culture is who that person is and what they choose to do, such as beliefs, attire, ways of life, and food preferences. So diversity is what people see like how you can identify a group of people but their culture is what makes them, them. It isn't just the way they are seen but it's the way they live their life" (personal communication, July 18, 2017).

Sharlon "Culture to me is the distinct identity of ones roots in the historical experience of people. Culture is both distinct and enormously influential on American culture as a whole. Culture is how people were raised and pass down their beliefs, religion down from generation to generation. Diversity to me is the difference in one's race, gender, beliefs, culture and religion" (personal communication July 21, 2017).

Kristie "Culture- the beliefs, attitudes and customs of a group of people. Diversity- differences in culture, race, religion, gender, age and other physical and non-physical attributes" (personal communication July 19, 2017).

What aspects of culture and diversity that I have studied in this course are included in the answers I received- and what are some examples? 

I believe that in the answers I received, culture is defined much like what I have learned in this course. It is obviously not defined in the same vocabulary, but these definitions line up with the way that culture has been defined as who a person is, more than just the surface of clothes yet including the surface as well. Much like the iceberg metaphor used by Janet Gonzalez Mena.

What aspects have been omitted and what are some examples of such omission?

Family culture such as parenting styles have been omitted from most of the definitions. Sharlon mentioned a little bit of that in discussing how people are raised and pass down beliefs from generation to generation, but specific family dynamics are not mentioned. The other aspect that is omitted is the idea that a group of friends, a work place and/or a community can have its own unique culture.

In what ways has thinking about other people's definitions of culture and diversity influenced my own thinking about these topics? 

Thinking about other people's definitions of culture and diversity has broadened my thinking of these topics. Considering how other people define a topic, forces a person to consider their own beliefs, biases and even reconsider where their beliefs lie. I had not considered thinking outside of the box enough to use a metaphor of apples to describe diversity as Kennedy had. I had considered customs and beliefs as a part of culture but Kristie's definition made me consider the customs and beliefs that are a part of my own culture and family. Sharlon's definition made me consider how different cultures effect the American culture as a whole.

Overall, I enjoyed talking to all three ladies about this topic and gaining more insight. :)




6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachael,
    I like how Kennedy, a sixteen year old, used apples as a way to explain diversity. It truly captures the definition in which we have been learning throughout these last few weeks. Hearing what the definitions means from others compared to just reading the dictionary definition allows me to open my mind a little bit more. Reading your omission section, I wonder if a work place would be considered a culture? I would look at it as diversity, groups of people who all work together and even come together to support one another but all have very different backgrounds and even different values and beleifs. Very interesting read, thank you for sharing!
    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole,
    Thanks for your response! I do believe that a work place can have it's own culture. I work for a University at their lab school for the students in the Child and Family Studies program. We have a culture all our own. We are a school family and because of that, I believe we have a family culture. Yes we are all unique, but we have customs and shared beliefs that we teach new teachers, children and families. It is a diverse group, however, I see it as the culture of Piper.
    Thanks again!
    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachel, I like that you mentioned vanity that is exactly what we have a variety that makes up this big bubble of different cultures that share different and or similar values. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel, I like Kenny's explanation about diversity, how he explain diversity is very clear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rachel,
    I like Kennedi's explanation of diversity, she's a smart young lady. I also liked Sharlon explanation of what culture is. I feel the same way that you do about the importance of culture and diversity, how it it passed on from generations and different aspects of life. Nice post and thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete