This week I have continued to look at the National Institute for Early Education Research. I did not find the weekly email to be inspiring or question probing. Honestly, the website is a bit difficult to maneuver through though the information is wonderful.
The section that seems particularly relevant to my professional development is the Preschool Matters Today blog. There are a ton of different topics in this section and I can scroll through them easily and simply open them up to read more. There is typically a new topic for each day. One statement in a blog from March stood out to me as something we are doing together every week! "Collaboration also can be daunting, challenging us to share information with those outside our usual circle. Yet the rewards outweigh the risks. If we want to create a robust early learning system for all children, we need to share not only great ideas and strategies for implementing them but also mistakes made and how to avoid them" (Weisnfeld, 2017). This spoke to me because of some specific collaboration I am doing at work with the preschool teaching teams.
There is also a section that provides podcasts and videos that I found to be interesting and made me think of the topic of economist in a different way. Steven Barnett is an economist and I found a video of him speaking about investing in early childhood. The video is entitled, "Ed:Talk: High Quality Pre-K: Taking the Road Less Traveled". I will link the video at the end of this post for you to check out! It made me feel less defensive about economist coming into the world of Early Childhood.
There is an entire section set apart for journal articles. I was able to find articles concerning economics and finance, however I was disappointed that they were not current. The latest article shown was from 2011.
I feel that as I am exploring this website, I am finding more and more out about NIEER. I have stated before that research is not a strong passion of mine, but I want to know more and feel more confident in conducting and reading about various research in our field. This assignment and this website is giving me a safe place to do so. For that I am grateful!
Reference:
http://nieer.org/publications/blog
http://nieer.org/video-webinar/ed-talk-high-quality-pre-k-taking-the-road-less-travelled
Ed Talk
I do enjoy Edtalk! It's a very fun and different way to look at things. I agree we need to share ideas as well as our mistakes so we can learn off one another.
ReplyDeleteHeather
DeleteI agree. I think that we too often think that people are trying to tell us how to do our jobs when they share with us their successes and failures. If we could only just collaborate without emotions! ;)
Rachael
Racheal,
ReplyDeleteIt's great that the website has a ton of information that can be beneficial to you. I chose the Harlem Children's Zone website. I signed up for the newsletter but have not received any information through my email._Ischia Peterson
Ischia,
DeleteYou might check your spam folder. That is where I found my weekly newsletter from NIEER. The website does have a lot of information, but I do find it difficult to maneuver through. Hopefully I will become more comfortable with it in the weeks to come. thanks for your response!
Rachael