The National Institute for Early Education Research
Follow some of the outside links. Where do they lead?
The only outside links I was able to find were links to webinars and presentations. Some of them took me to YouTube videos of TedTalks and others simply downloaded information from presentations.
Thoroughly search one area of the site. What did you find?
One area of the site that I found interesting is the Preschool Yearbook area. This is an area that shows an annual publication that tracks the funding, access and policies of state-funded preschool programs. It was interesting to me that there was not a Preschool Yearbook for 2016 yet, but the Yearbook for 2015 discusses whether or not state Pre-K got back on track in 2015. The entire publication can be downloaded and there is a link for looking at individual states.
E-newsletter links. What new information is available?
I received an e-newsletter this week and the first story is a story about whether or not taxes on sugary drinks could be the future for funding universal preschool. It was an interesting topic and I was struck by the following statement. "All this means that initiatives like that in Santa Fe are not just a convenient way of raising revenue for a good cause, but a double barreled approach to supporting healthier development of our children -- expanding access to high-quality early care and education while discouraging consumption of sugary beverages that contribute to problems of tooth decay, obesity and diabetes" (NIEER, April 14 2017).
Does the website or the e-newsletter contain any information that adds to your understanding and excellence in early care and education?
YES! There are many more stories in the e-newsletter as well as on the website. The newsletter links stories directly to the website so they are easy to download and review. One story dealing with equity was entitled "Questions of Access and Equity: Suspension and Expulsion in PreK" I found it interesting, please let me know what you all think!
http://nieer.org/2016/10/26/questions-access-equity-suspension-expulsion-prek
What other new insights about issues and trends in the early childhood field did you gain this week from exploring the website and/or the e-newsletter?
I find something interesting every time I explore this website. I think the most powerful thing I find is that I am not alone in my concerns and struggles in this field. There are articles on Kinder readiness which is the current struggle I am having as well as just really good information on child development and the field in general. I will link the latest article/blog that I have enjoyed!
http://nieer.org/2017/04/14/data-literacy-just-test-results-important-early-childhood-education
Please let me know your thoughts! :)
Hi Rachel, I didn't think to use TED talk, for resources. You have provided a lot of great information for us to read, thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeletePreschool Yearbook Area??? Never heard of that before, sounds great and something I'm going to look into. As for sugary drinks, this all comes down to the all mighty dollar. I don't believe people look into the care of our children and the damage it causes, currently everyone just tries to fill their own pockets. I have watched many a video and read articles on the subject of sugar in the schools. Nice post.
ReplyDeleteRachael,
ReplyDeleteYour blog post was very informative. This is my first time hearing of a Preschool Yearbook Area. However, just from reading your post, I believe that it is a great idea. I am interested in checking out this organization after reading your post. Thanks for the information.
Thanks everyone! I hope you all get as much out of the site as I have been getting!
ReplyDelete