Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Getting to Know Your International Contacts Part 3

In speaking with Karen from Canada again this week, I have learned more about her and her goals as well as what Canada is working towards. I honestly believe that this portion of the course has been my favorite! J I asked Karen the questions from the Blog Assignment this week and here are her answers!


What issues regarding quality and early childhood professionals are being discussed where you live and work?

“We are working towards a universal early learning and childcare system.  Right now keeping fees affordable and providing enough subsidy money to families is a key issue.  There are not enough spots for all children.  With maternity/parental leave now extended to 18 months and full day kindergarten for four year olds we can now focus in toddler and preschool spaces” (K. Tegal, personal communication, April 18, 2017).


What opportunities and/or requirements for professional development exist?

“There are so many training opportunities available - there is a city wide training calendar and many organizations (Ontario Reggio Association, Forest School Canada, Toronto District School Board etc...offer many workshops).  We are required to provide proof of ongoing learning and funds for professional development must be made accessible (government requirement)” (K. Tegal, personal communication, April 18, 2017).


What are some of your professional goals?

 “Professional goals?  I don't see myself in any sort of admin or supervisory type role so I guess I just want to keep learning and growing as an educator” (K. Tegal, personal communication, April 18, 2017).


What are some of your professional hopes, dreams, and challenges?

“Challenge?  Resources - not enough money and space allocated for the youngest learners” (K. Tegal, personal communication, April 18, 2017).


As always, I was so glad to see that early childhood educators have some of the same issues regardless of where they are located. Money and space will always be an issue! I have enjoyed talking with Karen so much over these few weeks. I hope that we are able to continue to communicate and learn with one another! 

5 comments:

  1. How I LOVE Canada!! I wish, I wish, I wish the United States government would love its people just half as much! It looks like you had some great interactions with your contacts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great is it that they have a lot of opportunities for professional development! I wish I had more opportunities for professional development, as in Thailand there are none! It is interesting to learn that even in a country like Canada which has a “GDP per Capita of $44,656, Canada invests 5.5% of its Gross Domestic Product in the education sector” (The World Bank, 2017, p. 1), and they still fall short, as insufficient funds is a challenge for educators in Canada.

    Reference

    The World Bank. (2017). Government expenditure on education, total (% of GDP). Retrieved from The World Bank: http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SE.XPD.TOTL.GD.ZS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindie,
      YES! I love how they have so many opportunities for professional development. I am fortunate that my center has times set aside twice a year for PD as a team. Have you looked into NAEYC's webinars? They are so good! I am registering for a couple this week!
      Rachael

      Delete
  3. Hi Rachel, it is so awesome that you are able to talk to your contact Karen. I think that it is awesome that Canada has a great support system for their children. Thank you for sharing, awesome.

    ReplyDelete