
These quotes are very powerful in my opinion concerning play. Both encompass what play was like for me as a child and how I feel about play in the Early Childhood field.
Play for me as a child was typically outside, with my older brothers or with neighborhood friends. We played in the creek outside of my Papa's house, at the local park on the merry-go-round and countless games of football in the backyard. I spent time under trees reading books. Books were and are my choice of "play". I could be anyone, anywhere and would spend HOURS under a tree on a blanket reading Anne Frank, The Boxcar Children, The Babysitter's Club, Beverly Clearly, anything and everything I could get my hands on. I remember playing school on the steps at our apartment, We played dodge ball with the horse apples that we found on the ground in the yard, jumped in leaf piles, made forts in the living room and rolled down hills. Play was with our whole bodies. We made up the rules as we went and the games would last for days at a time. My brothers, my neighbors and classmates, as well as my parents all had a role to play in the "play" I participated in as a child. They encouraged me to be myself, experiment and imagine all the things I thought I would be or could be. I am forever grateful for their support in my play then and now!




Hi Rachel, I love your post because this so true when we were growing up we played outside all day long and it was fun! I feel that the only time children get to play is at school in the classroom and out on the play ground. Sad but true. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteRachael, I love your quote about play being part of learning. I work in a school where that is not the way, and it honestly hurts me a little more each day having to take play out of the classroom. I think it is SO very important!
ReplyDeleteThanks ladies! I do feel very passionately about play being important! My hope is that we can advocate for play to be valued more and more.
ReplyDelete