Monday, September 5, 2016

Getting to Know You, Getting to Know All About You....

Hi! Welcome to the blog about my journey in Early Childhood Education. I am new to this, so please be patient as I maneuver my way through. Early Childhood is extremely important to me. I have been on this journey for many years now and I continue to learn and grow personally as well as academically. My personal philosophy of Early Childhood Education has changed over the years and is a beautiful combination of theories, trial and error and practical application.

Magda Gerber said, "Childhood is not a race to see how quickly a child can read, write or count. Childhood is a small window of time to learn and develop at the pace which is right for each individual child". 

This quote speaks volumes about the Early Childhood field. Children are on a journey and if we as educators will allow them to time to learn and develop at their own pace, I believe more authentic connections will be made. Connections with one another, with other adults and with the skills they need to be successful academically and in life. We all learn differently.  Some of us learn by touching and moving the parts, others only by hearing the information. When children are given the grace and respect to learn through play, relationships and teacher-directed activities, the window of time Magda Gerber spoke of is taken full advantage of. I am a firm believer in that childhood is not a race, but a journey to be enjoyed!

Children's literature is very important to me. I believe a good book can teach things that I could never teach, make a child feel something that they didn't even know they could feel and allow their imaginations to take them places they may never go. It is difficult for me to pick one children's book that is my favorite. I love Robert Munsch and Eric Carle along with Leo Lionni and Don and Audrey Wood. Recently I have fallen in love with Andrea Beaty. She has written two books that I love so very much. Iggy Peck, Architect and Rosie Revere, Engineer. Later this month her book Ada Twist, Scientist is being released. I love these books because of the message behind them. They talk about the importance of building, creating and dreaming. They are written in a "rhyming word" fashion and the illustrations are AMAZING.  These books discuss what it is like to fail at something and pick yourself up and try try again, as well as being true to who you are. I like to use these books in the block center to encourage building as well as in my loose parts area. The children in my classroom enjoy them and often ask to be read these particular books. I am excited to read Ada Twist, Scientist! I'll be sure to let you all know how it is!

This summer my husband and I went to the beach. This was a first time experience for me. I grew up loving the mountains in Tennessee and then when we moved to Texas, we spent our family vacations going back to Tennessee, so the beach was a new experience for me. This is a picture I took of myself when we got to the beach! It was a lot of fun and I remember thinking that the feeling I was having, might be the feeling a child gets when they experience something new. Excitement and wonder all rolled up into one big smile! I feel that way again, beginning this journey to obtain my Master's degree. Excited and wondering what I signed up for all at the same time! ;) Here's to the journey, the excitement and the changes that are bound to happen in my personal and academic life in the months to come!
Wishing you well!
Rachael



2 comments:

  1. I love this quote and Magda Gerber! I attended the Program for Infant/ Toddler Care (PITC) training last summer in Virginia. It was a great experience and I learned so much. A lot of Magda Gerber’s research was included in this training. Have you ever attended a PITC event?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not attended a PITC event but it sounds like it would be inspiring and challenging! I learned of Magda Gerber in several classes while obtaining my Associate's degree and fell in love with her way of thinking about infants and young children. Most of my experience is with preschool aged children, but I would love to learn more about infant and toddler care. Thanks for your response!

    ReplyDelete